If you are in the gun business you need to read this!
California has decided that they are better at handling firearms transactions than the Federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. The California Department of Justice, Division of Law Enforcement, issued an informational bulletin dated 5/29/08, No. 2008-BOF-05.
Quoting, “Beginning July 1, 2008, California Penal Code Section 12072(f)(1) prohibits all FFLs from shipping to an FFL in California unless, prior to delivery, the FFL intending to deliver, sell or transfer the firearm obtains a verification approval number from the California Department of Justic (CADOJ) Bureau of Firearms. This includes transfers that occur at gun shows.”
This poses several interesting questions.
- What happened to the second ammendment?
- What happened to the ATF?
- Who put California in charge of interstate commerce?
- What happened to the ICC?
- If California were so efficient at running Buracracies, would they have money problems?
- Will killing another segement of the California tax base help solve state problems?
- Has there been a single case of guns transfered between Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders that resulted in violent crime of any kind?
- Why in the hell would any gun business outside California continue to do business with law abiding federally licensed gun dealers in California?
- Does this mean Arnold is really a “Girly Man”?
- On the FAQ page attached to the announcement the #1 item claims there is no cost associated with this program. Apparently our time and effort is of no value?
- Why have we not heard outrage from California Dealers (FFL holders) on this subject? Could it be they fear repercussions?
I am sure you can think of more questions but those few just poured out of my pen as they say.
Item #16 on the FAQ page generously offers every interested person the opportunity to receive a copy of the bill which put this law into effect. I plan to call for a copy as I am sure you will want to. After all, we want to be sure we do not run afoul of any California Laws even if we plan to boycott the state from here to eternity. The phone number where you can request a copy of the bill is 916-445-2323, request bill “AB 2521, Chapter 784, Session 2005-2006. Hopefully this won’t be too much of a burden on those resources.
Here is a pdf of the entire packet mailed to FFL holders: http://www.z-hat.com/extras/California%20CFLC%20Program.pdf